Sunday, November 19, 2017

Progress Report 71

Introduction

We don't seem to have had much of a summer in terms of fine weather - and it also seems that when the weather was good I was elsewhere. We spent a long weekend, for example, in Yorkshire where I drove a steam loco on the Elsecar Heritage Railway as part of my birthday present.

However, I have managed to complete some projects and engage in a few operating sessions since my previous Progress Report, and also hosted a visit from another of my Antipodean friends.

Permanent Way

Apart from ongoing maintenance, the only significant development in the Permanent Way Dept has been to iron out a hump in the track just outside Bulkeley station. 

Many moons ago, when I first built the railway, I constructed a wall from breeze blocks and bricks to support Bulkeley station. I wasn't entirely sure at that time where the tracks would run and it turned out that the wall cut across the track leading from Bulkeley down towards Bickerton. Over the years, the trackbed at Bulkeley has dropped by around 1.5" but, of course, the wall has remained the same height. Last week, I decided this hump also had to go and so the brickwork on top of the wall was attacked with a cold chisel and angle grinder.

Once the hump had been eliminated, a layer of concrete was put down to smooth out some of the irregularities in the underlying blockwork. I find this is easier than lifting the blocks, tamping down the soil and relaying the blocks - only to find they will sometimes sink again as the soil settles.

Most of the stock had little problem negotiating the hump previously, but occasionally a wagon might become derailed passing over the point leading to the Copper Mine branch. Time will tell if this has solved this particular problem.

Lineside

 Refreshment Room

To fill a gap on the approach to the station building at Beeston Market, I decided to construct a small refreshment room, based on a building which used to stand beside the overbridge below Beeston & Tarporley Station on the Crewe to Chester mainline railway between the two world wars.

Using dimensions derived from the photo, plus a modicum of modellers' licence, I drew up a sketch plan and constructed the building primarily from plasticard.



It is still awaiting interior detailing and needs to be sited on the vacant plot beside the station at Beeston Market, but I am pleased with the result so far. For more information on the build see How I constructed the Refreshment Room.

Water mill

Another vacant plot on the railway is in the process of being occupied. For a while, I have been planning to construct a water mill to sit beside the stream near Peckforton (eg see Progress Report 41). Over the past couple of months, this building has slowly been taking shape.

The first stage was to remodel the stream to create a mill stream (see How I revamped part of the stream). Once that had been done, the area between the stream and the mill siding was landscaped.
 
Meanwhile, the building itself was slowly taking shape. I used PVC foamboard for the main structure - a new material for me and one with which I am most impressed.

The building and its location are taking shape - more work is required on detailing and a sluice gate needs to be constructed to control the flow of water under the wheel.

[Awaiting photo]

For more information see How I constructed the mill - pending

Operation

Market Day

A few minor operating sessions have taken place since the past progress report and one full scale operating session. In this session, I imagined it was Market Day and so extra trains were laid on to accommodate the increase in passenger numbers and the additional livestock and farming related traffic.

The Up Market Day Mixed passing the Copper Mine hauled by Bagnall 0-4-2T No. 11 Bunbury
Down Special Market Day Goods approaching Beeston Castle with Beyer Peacock(ish) 0-4-0T No. 12 Tiverton
The Up special goods returning passing the River Gowy
The Down Market Day Mixed arriving at Bickerton
The scheduled midday Up passenger arriving at Beeston Market
The Up pickup goods approaching Beeston Castle with Black Hawthorn 0-4-0T No. 14 Burwardsley
A short video showing some of the Market Day Train movements

Visitor from New Zealand

During one of my operating days, I was ably assisted by Andy Murray (the other Andy Murray) from New Zealand who was over on a family visit. He took charge of the pickup goods, carrying out shunting duties as it passed up and down the line.

Many thanks to Andy for his company and his patience.

Post Script

I received a request from a fellow modeller for assistance in setting up his MyLocoSound steam sound card - particularly regarding the settings for getting a loco to coast when slowing down. I felt the easiest way to demonstrate this was to make a video.

This video now also features on the MyLocoSound website.

I am hoping to take delivery shortly of the latest version of the MLS soundcard which incorporates brake squeal when the loco comes to a halt.
<< Go to Progress Report 70

No comments: